The new Kindle Paperwhite is out in India.
Amazon’s new Kindle Paperwhite is now available in India on Amazon.in and also at over 250 retail outlets across the country including Croma, Reliance Digital, E-Zone, and Vijay Sales stores. The new Kindle Paperwhite with Wi-Fi only is priced at Rs 10,999 while the Wi-Fi + 3G version is priced at Rs 13,999. You can check out our review of the new Kindle Paperwhite tablet with 3G here.
It weighs only 206 grams which is lighter than the 222 grams of the previous Paperwhite. Dimensions are identical at 169 x 117 x 9.1 mm, with a 6-inch capacitive touchscreen as was seen with the older model.
Some of the new features in the 6th generation Kindle Paperwhite are:
• New display technology with higher contrast: According to Amazon, Kindle Paperwhite’s display is the most advanced e-reader display ever manufactured and much more advanced than any other e-reader’s display.
• Built-in light: Guides light toward the surface of the display for comfort reading.
• A faster processor: By 25 percent according to Amazom, which allows books to open faster.
• New Kindle Page Flip: Users can skim page-by-page, scan by chapter, or skip to the end of your book, all without losing their place.
• Share with Friends on Goodreads, although Goodreads on Kindle is only available when connected to Wi-Fi.
• Vocabulary Builder which compiles words you look up in the dictionary into an easy-to-access list. You can laters use these lists to quiz yourself with flashcards and instantly see words in context.
• Smart Lookup which integrates a full dictionary and Wikipedia so you can access definitions, characters, settings and more without leaving your page.
• In-line Footnotes: Users can just tap on the screen and read complete text of each footnote in-line without changing the page.
• Kindle Free Time: This is aimed at Children and lets users created personalised profiles for kids and give them access to titles from your collection of books. Children are rewarded with achievement badges that keep track of their personal reading accomplishments. A progress report keeps parents updated on total time spent reading.
• Cloud Collections: Organise your books in customised collections for easy reference, and Amazon’s Whispersync technology synchronises the collections across your Kindle devices.
The Kindle Paperwhite will deliver 8 weeks of battery life. In addition to GoodReads, the Facebook and Twitter share options are also there. The e-reader also has parental Controls which allow parents to restrict access to the Kindle Store, Cloud Archive and the Experimental Web Browser, for their children.